In this ILS students can learn about properties of objects that influence whether an object sinks or floats in the water. They get the assignment to find out which materials they can use to build a raft that floats in order to leave the island they are currently on. By going through all phases of inquiry they will gain knowledge about mass, volume and density, and their relation to each other.
- Learn how mass, volume and density influence whether an object sinks or floats
- Learn to formulate a research question
- Learn to plan and conduct an experiment
Students are told that they are trapped on an island and have to build a raft to leave the island. They have to think about properties of materials and decide which materials they will use for their raft. After they gave it some thought they plan and conduct experiments with which they can learn about the influence of mass, volume and density of an object on sinking and floating. Based on their results they draw conclusions and reflect upon their process and results.
- There should be sufficient computers available for students to work at. Students can work individually or they may be placed in groups behind one computer. The ILS is aimed at individual students.
- The teacher should have knowledge about the domain to help the students when they ...